[j-nsp] BGP Graceful Restart

Gary Tate gtate at juniper.net
Wed Sep 22 23:34:39 EDT 2004

The helper router keeps track of updates while the restarting router
brings up rpd and restarts sessions.  Routing tables are then
synchronized so it does not matter in this case.  Network state is
retrieved and no packets are lost during this process.

The network is not aware of the change in state of the restarting
router only the adjacent helper or peering routers.  If the restarting
router fails to come out of restart (restart timers) then the helper
routers will act accordingly, as if the router had gone down.

Gary Tate

On Sep 22, 2004, at 3:49 PM, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:

> If an update is missed and the routing table gets out of sync during
> the switchover process or an access list manages to get bypassed, then
> yes, it matters. The question is how MUCH does it matter?
>
> I'd still rather have that than nothing at all. For me, I can more
> easily deal with a moment or two of oddities than 5 to 10 minutes as
> things resynchronize.
>
> -Wayne
>
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 02:19:25PM -0700, Harry Reynolds wrote:
>> I believe it is expected that IGP adjacencies and BGP sessions will
>> bounce
>> as the new RE takes over. We do not replicate protocol state between
>> the
>> REs. The goal of GR is not to preserve the control plane, I.e., to
>> keep an
>> adjacency up. The goal is to permit forwarding while the control plane
>> restarts. Put another way, I think it a far better test to generate
>> some
>> traffic over the BGP/IS-IS session/adjacencies and see what happens to
>> traffic flow during RE removal. If an adjacencies bounces, and no
>> packets
>> are lost, then does it really matter?
>>

>> HTHs

>>> Kashif.