[j-nsp] include-mp-next-hop

Pedro Roque Marques roque at juniper.net
Tue Sep 28 12:23:04 EDT 2004

Daniel Roesen writes:

> As far as I understand the abstract of the MP_NEXT_HOP IETF draft,
> it is about e.g. announcing an IPv4 NEXT_HOP for IPv6 NLRI.

w/ mp-bgp the actual next-hop is part of the MP_REACH_NLRI
attribute. However the BGP spec used to say that an update msg that
contains rechable information must include the NEXT_HOP attribute.

Specs changed back and forth on this... the current versions say that
the NEXT_HOP attribute (which doesn't really make much sense in this
context) should not be included. The knob is there to interop w/ old
equipment that requires this attribute althought it ignores the value.

> I'm asking because I'm seeing the following errors on a 12.2(25)S
> box:

> %BGP-6-NEXTHOP: Invalid next hop (0.0.0.0) received from <IPv6 IBGP
> neighbor> : martian

Seems like a new check that has been added...

> The IPv6 IBGP neighbor is a JunOS 6.4R1 box, having
> "include-mp-next-hop" enabled.

Try turning it off then... maybe this ios release already conforms to
the new specs.

  Pedro.