[j-nsp] ch-stm1 back to back

Mike Benjamin mikeb at disturbed.org
Fri Apr 1 13:08:46 EST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 04:11:33PM +0100, Nic McCartney wrote:
:
:
: Guys,
:
:
:
: Just wondered if anybody had played with this kind of setup...
:
:
:
: cust termination <eth or other int>[M20] <ch-stm1>
: [Cisco]<core>[Cisco]<serial_int>cust termination
:
:
:
: I'd want to connect customers to the M20 and have it act like a dacs so the
: different channelised
:
: E1's off the ch-stm1 would be in vrf's (as would the serial_int's on other
: Cisco). The C devices are
:
: 10K's.

You left off some important details here, but I'll assume you don't
have means of terminating the Ethernet into the Cisco for a Layer 3
VPN.

First off, why not make the Juniper another PE in your network if
you're simply looking to terminate Ethernet into the VPN?  If you
need to do it this way for some reason (interoperability with some
features?) you need to maintain Layer 3 separation on the Juniper.
Since your network seems to be Cisco PE based you probably would
want to keep this simple and use TCC on the Juniper to map them at
Layer 2 into the Cisco.

That seems like quite the expensive media converter though unless
you're doing something else with the Juniper as well.

A new card or two for a 10k has to be cheaper than an M20 + FPC +
Channelized STM1 PIC + Customer facing PICs + Channelized STM1 LC.

Maybe I'm missing some details on what you're trying to accomplish.

--mikeb

:
: Nic
: