[j-nsp] CRTP on Later 2 VPN ckt

Ramesh Babu Koduru rameshbabu.koduru at vsnl.co.in
Tue Apr 5 04:40:54 EDT 2005

This is the response , we have received from Juniper
As per Juniper ........the reason why CRTP is not working on L2VPN ckt
is that we have Ethernet link b/w P & PE routers and it's the limitation
of RFC 2508 ...
That means we do not have solution to this problem as long as we have
Ethernet links between P & PE .......??

Has any one help us in this as it is impossible for us to remove
Eth/Fast eth links between P & PE ...............

I am giving Juniper response below
--------------------
 From our observations , when we  replace the connection between PE1
and PE2 to sonet we don't see this problem of errors on CE because
sonet doesn't require any any padding mechanism. Where as the ethernet
does. In addition to earlier given snippets from RFC2508 the following
also is listed below for your perusal which point in the same direction:

COMPRESSED_UDP - communicates the IP and UDP headers compressed to 6 or
fewer bytes (often 2 if UDP checksums are disabled), followed by any
subsequent headers (possibly RTP) in uncompressed form, plus data. This
packet type is used when there are differences in the usually constant
fields of the (potential) RTP header. The RTP header includes a
potentially changed value of the SSRC field, so this packet may redefine
the session context. The format is shown in section 3.3.3.

Thanks
Rameshbabu