[j-nsp] If thousands of L2 vpn - ethernet vlan between a samepairof PE & same pair of ethernet port ?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Apr 8 01:51:48 EDT 2005

> In this case, CE must support for stacking vlan. But not sure M box will
> accept this stacking vlan ethernet frame or not ?

If you use an external switch to push an extra tag, the Juniper M box
won't be (and doesn't need to be) aware of the extra tag - all it needs
is a higher MTU to handle 4 extra bytes.

If you want to have the Juniper M box handle dual tags, this is possible
too - you need an IQ Ethernet interface for this.

If you just need to make thousands of L2 circuits with a minimal amount
of configuration, I would recommend the use of configuration groups (to
inherit "encapsulation vlan-ccc"), and Martini tunnels (l2circuit in J
speak). Then you only need to configure the vlan-id for each unit (and
presumably some description of the circuit).

We do all of the above at various places in our network, and it works
just fine.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no