[j-nsp] putty kills netscreen wireless

Panny Malialis panny at hotlinks.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 09:46:38 EDT 2005

Sorry to post this here, I didnt know where else to try.

Anyone got a Netscreen NS5 ADSL with WIRELESS ?

NS5-GT-033-A-AV

I recieved the unit earlier today and plugged it in,
logged in to the configuration wizard,
went through that no problem,
got it logged on to my adsl account and started browsing web pages, great!

The next thing I know, I needed to ssh to a server on the internet
somewhere which seemed to work, it let me log in at least, but when i
tried to paste some text from my clipboard into the ssh client (putty),
it dropped all packets destined to go out the adsl connection for about
the next minute
for ALL wireless users, which caused connections to break and so on.
No problems for wired users whatsoever and it doesnt happen if i use CRT
instead of putty.
This is a stable re-produceable error, has anyone had something similar?

I've currently resorted to wiring in my old Linksys WAP11 802.11b to the
lan on the netscreen and completely disabling wireless on the netscreen
in order to work around the problem for now.

I've also tried various different settings like tcp-mss and path-mtu and
no difference.
I'd personally class this as fairly critical, so hopefully someone from
Juniper with a clue will read here this here and contact me before
someone places an order for thousands of them and finds out they dont
work! :)

I'm trying to log a case with J-TAC at the moment but they wont accept
it through no fault of my own but because of some screw up with my logon
to their site.
I spent about 3 hours on the phone to them and had no less than 7 notes
added to my case
I have now registered the unit for support but when I call......"The
computer says it's not", so as far as they are concerned I may aswell
not exist yet. VERY FRUSTRATING!

Many Thanks

Panny Malialis