[j-nsp] Re: MTU size of fxp0

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Apr 27 22:57:20 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:18:08AM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:58:38AM +0200, Jonas Frey wrote:
> > As far as i recall, it can be done using some (sysctl -w
> > net.pfe.transit_re=1 ?) sysctl setting. However this is not a good idea
> > since the routing will be done in software/go through the RE directly.
>
> And clog the fxp1 link between RE and PFE.
>
> All in all, it's a stupid idea. :-)
>
> And personally, I've never seen transit_re working. There seems to be
> more to the story than just the sysctl.

Nah, I routinely use this, like when working remotely with newly installed
routers which only have an fxp0 uplink to the outside world. Normally
routes/nexthops from the fxp0 interface are not installed in the PFE, but
when you set transit_re=1 those routes get installed.

Not enabling it by default is a perfectly reasonable decision by Juniper,
it keeps stupid people from trying to route 100Mbps between the real
hardware and the mgmt port. But being able to turn it on in a pinch if you
know what you are doing is handy too.

> BTW: the FreeBSD ethernet driver for fxp0 doesn't support MTU >1500
> as far as I know, so you cannot raise MTU even with tricks.

As I learned today actually, tnp on the fxp1 link handles fragmentation
and reassembly of packets larger than the 1500 octet MTU on the
interface, which lets you take in larger packets off the PFE. TCP MSS is
set off of the configured interface mtu, etc.

However, there is no way to do higher than 1514 on the fxp interfaces
themselves. This means no jumbo frames on fxp0/mgmt, etc. You can
configure vlans on fxp0, but it will be passing 1496 octet packets. :)