[j-nsp] Load balancing

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Sat Aug 13 08:36:08 EDT 2005

Hi,

According to

<http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos70/swconfig70-policy/html/policy-actions-config11.html>

JunOS will by default select one next-hop per prefix, that is not
do load balancing, except by having different prefixes with
identical set of next-hop's choose different next-hops to use for
forwarding.

One can then enable 'per-packet' load balancing, which behave
different depending on which versino of the IP process one got.

- a IP processor version I does true round robin load balancing, this is
  equivalent to the Cisco 'per-packet' load balancing mode.
- a IP processor version II does 'per-flow' load balancing, based
  on a hash of layer 3 and/or 4 information in the packet, this is
  equivalent to the Cisco 'per-destination' load balancing mode,
  except Cisco only looks at layer 3 information, not layer 4, the
  reasoning being to ensure all packets in a flow truely goes on
  the same path, which one cannot guarantee if one looks at layer
  4, which is not available in non initial fragments.

/Jesper

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 02:43:55PM +0300, Erdem Sener wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  What exactly do you mean by 'destination load balancing' ? What is
> referred as 'per packet' in the documentation, is actually 'flow
> based' load balancing and should do fine under most circumstances.
>
>  An example config like this should do good:
>
> set routing-options forwarding-table export Load-Balance-Policy
> set policy-options policy-statement Load-Balance-Policy then
> load-balance per-packet
> set forwarding-options hash-key family inet layer-3
>
>  Hope this helps,
>  Erdem
>

> On 8/13/05, Sabah uddin Ahmed <sabah at apollo.com.pk> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >

> > Juniper support destination based load balancing or not. At that time I used
> > per packet load balancing on serial links. What are the benefits of the
> > destination based load balancing.
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > Sabah

/Jesper