[j-nsp] High failure rates for M7i/M10i hard disks?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Aug 22 10:31:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 08:21:35AM +0100, Jee Kay wrote:
> On 8/22/05, Johannes Resch <jr at xor.at> wrote:
>
> > to add another datapoint: within the last year, we had to RMA two RE-2.0
> > because of failure of internal flash; opposed to zero HD-failures.
>
> We just bought 5 new M7is.... two months later, 3 have had their REs
> RMAd with HDD failures. Needless to say we're now refusing to put
> these shoddy pieces of equipment into production until we get some
> sort of explanation extracted from Juniper.
>
> This together with the absolutely awful 'product' called the J6300
> (bought 3, all 3 had hardware problems and constant crashes) is
> seriously turning me off Juniper.

What model hard drive are they using on the M7i RE-5.0 routing engines
these days? AFAIK the M#i model RE's (5.0/5.0+) were custom-made by
Kontron explicitly for Juniper, and aren't just existing products. I
personally can't say enough bad things about the old IBM Travelstars they
used to use, I have quite the stack of dead ones.

Not to say that hard drives shouldn't be in routers, personally I think it
adds an amazing amount of functionality which is worth a little bit of
extra risk. I've probably replaced both the hard drives and compact flash
from around 20 RE-2.0s and 3.0s, out of hundreds of them that I have run
across, including some really roughly handled gear that had been abused in
shipping and probably in its prior life. In my experience the CF fails
more often than the hard-drive just through age, even with Travelstars
involved.

Really sounds like there may be a production problem with the RE-5.0's,