[j-nsp] High failure rates for M7i/M10i hard disks?

Scott Morris swm at emanon.com
Tue Aug 30 08:51:59 EDT 2005

Heheheh...  I dunno how they will feel about "proactive RMA"  :)

In the grand scheme of things, you have other options (PCMCIA and CF) for
booting the system.  You have other options for logging (syslog).  So you
can live without your HD being alive, which at least gives you some window
of when to RMA/replace it.

It's just a laptop HD.  So you CAN replace it on your own as well in case
you don't have the ability to RMA ahead of time.  I know some companies are
more concerned than others about the service contracts, but you have
options!

What good would a redundant hard drive do for you?  If you are RMA'ing the
RE, it still means irritation and downtime.  It would take a redesign of the
whole system to make the HD more modular and hot-swappable.  But THAT would
really be the best option for stability in the system since as you noted,
these things are up 24x7x365, and it's not like we have a lot of choices!

Scott