[j-nsp] High failure rates for M7i/M10i hard disks?

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Tue Aug 30 05:38:18 EDT 2005

I'm wondering whether we should ask for RMA for RE every 3 years or not.
I think HDD usually comes with 1 year or 3 year warranty, and
considering the average life cycle by 24X7X365 operation,
it should be replaced every 2 or 3 years.
So we may need to check the manufactuering date, and if it passed 3
years from manufacturing date,
just ask for RMA?

Juniper really needs to consider RAID for RE HDD.
Considering the cost we pay for RE/Router purchase, and the cost for
maintenance,
Juniper needs to pay attention to more redundant hardware/system for
fault tolerance.

Hyun