[j-nsp] Re: Juniper DNS cache

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 08:52:49 EST 2005

On 12/9/05, Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 05:42:17PM -0500, Peering wrote:
> > Dumb question...anyone know how to clear the DNS cache on a Juniper
> > M-20?  I looked all through the JUNOS documentation on their website and
> > looked through all the available commands and couldn't find anything.
>
> Juniper does not operate as a caching nameserver, therefore it has no DNS
> cache. It will send new queries to its configured nameservers every time,
> so if something isn't updating, it is the nameservers you are using.

Even if a *nix box doesn't run BIND, djbdns or other caching
nameservers, many run nscd ("name service cache daemon"), which caches
all libc calls to the resolver. The FreeBSD under-the-hood in the
routing engine has nscd enabled or disabled, and even if nscd is
running what is configured in nscd.conf and nssswitch.conf  ?

> This question would probably be better suited for the Juniper-NSP mailing
> list (http://puck.nether.net/juniper-nsp/) too.

Couldn't agree more.

Rubens