[j-nsp] ERX - Radius - prepaid services

Rafal Szarecki (WA/EPO) rafal.szarecki at ericsson.com
Wed Dec 28 07:50:49 EST 2005

If you use PPPoX access method, you can build relatyvly easy system base
on session-timeout. Of course the status of customer account has to be
related to usage. Of course this is not as elegant an flexible as with
SDX, but ... The general drowbacks are: 1) accuracy if session-timeout
will be long (e.g. 6h) then for accsess rate 500k customer can overuse
service by 3,6*6*500/8 of MB. 2) to upgrade/downgrade speed customer has
to be logged-out (ppp sessison drop).

Similar scenario is also avaliable with DHCP, but this related on
profile configuration or ERX. Even less flexible then PPP/RADIUS.

Rafal