[j-nsp] Getting traffic details

mail.ag mail.ag at foghorn.nit.gwu.edu
Thu Feb 3 15:32:13 EST 2005

Eng Ivan wrote:

>How can I get a detailed information of the traffic on the JunOS?, I'd like
>something similar to show ip cache flow on Cisco world.
>
>Is there any similar command on the JunOS that doesn't impact the equipment
>performance to do it?
>
>Is it possible to export it to a cflowd or similar listener?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Ivan

Because the M-series routers aren't flow based routers like Cisco, you
can't get that information without a bit of work.  Two ways to do this:

You can use the routing engine to sample traffic to generate cflowd
exports, but keep in mind this traffic will use fpx1, so be careful.
Unless your traffic is *very* light, you'll want keep your sampling rate
low.  Here are some real basic configs:
forwarding-options {
    sampling {
        input {
            family inet {
                rate 96;
            }
        }
        output {
            cflowd <server IP> {
                port 2055;
                version 5;
            }
        }
    }
}

You'll then need a filter (or a term in a filter) and apply it to the
interface you want to sample.

        term sample-everything {
            then {
                sample;
            }
        }

Check out the '...Services Interfaces Configuration Guide' for your
software version for specifics on the above configs.

This wont give you the 'show ip cache flow' you are used to in IOS.

To get that level of detail, and to greatly increase your sampling
ability, you'll want to look at one of the service PICs such as the
Adaptive Services (lots of features) or Monitoring Services (better
performance for monitoring).  Then, in the cli, you'll be able to use a
number of 'show passive-monitoring ' commands.
Monitoring PIC:
http://www.juniper.net/products/modules/monitoring_pic.html
AS PIC:
http://www.juniper.net/products/modules/as_pic.html