[j-nsp] Junipers and broadcast storm issues

Mark Johnson juniper-nsp at avensys.net
Wed Feb 9 12:53:35 EST 2005

Hi,

I've set this up in the lab and can replicate the problem by simply looping
a couple of ports on a connected switch with spanning tree disabled. OSPF,
BGP, fail.

Interestingly, I connected an old 7200 NPE-200 (admittedly at 100Mb while
the Juniper is at Gig) and while its CPU hit 99% it stayed up and ran fine.

I guess the issue is that the crap coming from the switch is going to the RE
and the internal PFE-RE 100Mb link is getting saturated (as with the MPLS
vulnerability released today). There is a default arp policer in place and I
did try setting my own at 3Mb/s with no difference so the crap isn't simply
arp packets.

Can anyone give any pointers please (especially someone from Juniper)?

Kind regards,

Mark