[j-nsp] Junipers and broadcast storm issues

Dennis Woods dwoods at juniper.net
Wed Feb 9 13:22:35 EST 2005

Hi,

The default policer box-wide in scope and implemented in hardware.  It
protects the RE from the negative effects of a broadcast storm howerver
you can see problems if one inteface is using up all the arps allowed by
the default policer.  The result would be that when arps on other
interfaces timeout they get renewed slowly or not at all.

Try setting the per-interface arp policer to something 32kbits.  Then
check with show policer to see which arp policer is incrementing.

guest at rock# show interfaces ge-0/1/0
unit 0 {
    family inet {
        policer {
            arp blah;
        }
        address 4.0.0.1/8;
    }
}

[edit]
guest at rock# show firewall policer blah
filter-specific;
if-exceeding {
    bandwidth-limit 32k;
    burst-size-limit 2800;
}
then discard;

[edit]
guest at rock# commit
commit complete

[edit]
guest at rock# run show policer
Policers:
Name                                              Packets
__default_arp_policer__                                 0<----this one
should stop incrementing
blah-ge-0/1/0.0-inet-arp                                0<----this one
should be incrementing