[j-nsp] PCMCIA flash upgrade/config

Craig Pierantozzi tozz at arpa.bind.com
Wed Feb 9 19:11:59 EST 2005

The pc card and LS-120 disk are used for recovery.  The
internal compact flash and internal hard drive are used as primary
and alternate boot devices. The M7i is a bit different since it does
not have an internal flash drive.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos70/swconfig70-system-basics/html/system-basics-overview5.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos70/swconfig70-system-basics/html/system-basics-overview3.html

Normally, the PC card is left out of the router and the
boot order is internal compact flash then internal hard drive.
If the PC card is present, the router boots from it but the
functionality of the router is impaired.  It's really for
disaster recovery where you boot from the removable media
then reinstall JunOS onto the primary boot device.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/nog/nog-baseline/html/reinstall13.html

regards
-Craig

* Thus spake Pekka Savola (pekkas at netcore.fi):