[j-nsp] Routing Engine Redundancy

snort bsd snortbsd at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 10 18:13:00 EST 2005

Hi:

I have questions for routing engine redundancy:

root at troy# commit synchronize
re0:
configuration check succeeds
re1:
[edit interfaces fxp0 unit 0 family inet]
  'address 192.168.100.196/27'
    warning: [edit system backup-router] not present.
The default route for fxp0 is not installed.
commit complete
re0:
commit complete

The scenario is like this: two routing engins with two
fxp0. Both has the same IP address and the same
host-name. Here is the configuration:

version 7.0R2.7;
groups {
    re0 {
        system {
            host-name telmex-m10i-n0;
        }
        interfaces {
            fxp0 {
                unit 0 {
                    family inet {
                        address 200.38.156.196/28;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
    re1 {
        system {
            host-name telmex-m10i-n0;
        }
        interfaces {
            fxp0 {
                unit 0 {
                    family inet {
                        address 200.38.156.196/28;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

chassis {
    redundancy {
        routing-engine 0 master;
        routing-engine 1 backup;
        failover on-loss-of-keepalives;
        graceful-switchover {
            enable;
        }
    }
    alarm {
        management-ethernet {
            link-down yellow;
        }
    }
}

I am confused about the "backup-router" statement.
Could anyone here explain it?

Thanks

dave_au