[j-nsp] Cisco -> Juniper ?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Jan 7 07:10:58 EST 2005

--On Friday, January 07, 2005 12:42 +0100 Erik Haagsman <erik at we-dare.net>
wrote:

>> Do you know where I could find some comparison docs between 7206,
>> 6500/7600, 12000/GSR and Juniper equivalents ?
>
> There's bound to be loads around, though usually not exactly what you
> call "objective" and often either leaning largely towards Juniper (like
> me :-) or the exact opposite towards Cisco. Suitability depends on a lot
> of factors, especially what functions exactly you'll be deploying them
> for, what config etc.
>
>> Do you think M10 router could be a right evolution ? (M5 has not enough
>> port capacity for me)
>
> An M10(i) is a fine machine indeed, and can push more traffic than any
> 7200 I've seen, though suitability still depends on config/function/etc
>
>> Do you also know what is the difference between older M10 and M10i
>> (except redundancy) ? Is the new model much faster ? and able to manage
>> much more traffic ?
>
> De M10i has an Enhanced FPC which provides more bandwdith and is
> required to run some of the newer PICs, like the GigE SFP PICs. Also has
> some additional (although I still think optional) services built into
> the machine instead of needing separate hardware for them, but overall
> the differences aren't that major. Both are great buys, but it all boils
> down to what you'd want the routers to do...

One thing I have to make note of is that port for port Junipers do tend to
be more spendy.  But if you ook at it more 'apples for apples' and consider
the port ona  Juniper comes with the hardware needed to run it full tilt,
whereas Ciscos you have to add things like the DFC3 or upgrade VIPs the
Juniper PIC comes in basically two flavors...One with advanced CoS/Shaping
and queuing, and one without.

Another problem I have with Cisco is they hit a lot of arbitrary and barely
documented hardware limitations.  And when you hit them you hit them HARD.
You can have a single customer eat your router alive if you happen on one
of these land mines.  Most of the ones I know of have to do with # of
peers, # of ACLs, and # of prefix lists and policy entries.  Though others
may be present.

That's not to say Juni's don't have limitations, they just seem to be far
more flexible and generous with them.