[j-nsp] Cisco -> Juniper ?

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Fri Jan 7 06:42:09 EST 2005

> Do you know where I could find some comparison docs between 7206, 6500/7600,
> 12000/GSR and Juniper equivalents ?

There's bound to be loads around, though usually not exactly what you
call "objective" and often either leaning largely towards Juniper (like
me :-) or the exact opposite towards Cisco. Suitability depends on a lot
of factors, especially what functions exactly you'll be deploying them
for, what config etc.

> Do you think M10 router could be a right evolution ? (M5 has not enough port
> capacity for me)

An M10(i) is a fine machine indeed, and can push more traffic than any
7200 I've seen, though suitability still depends on config/function/etc

> Do you also know what is the difference between older M10 and M10i (except
> redundancy) ? Is the new model much faster ? and able to manage much more
> traffic ?

De M10i has an Enhanced FPC which provides more bandwdith and is
required to run some of the newer PICs, like the GigE SFP PICs. Also has
some additional (although I still think optional) services built into
the machine instead of needing separate hardware for them, but overall
the differences aren't that major. Both are great buys, but it all boils
down to what you'd want the routers to do...

Cheers,

--
---
Erik Haagsman