[j-nsp] J-Series

info at beprojects.com info at beprojects.com
Tue Jan 25 13:09:44 EST 2005

Has anybody done much testing and/or playing around with the J-Series
routers yet?  I am specifically looking for info on 2 items.

1.  What is the Ethernet to Ethernet throughput of the various models?
I know it is all done in software and not hardware, but I am curious how
much they can push.  I'm wondering if I could setup a pair of J4300 as
border routers with Ethernet upstream connections, eBGP to peers and
iBGP between the J4300's and pass say 50Mbps from one Ethernet to the
other.  Packet/second numbers would be fine too.

2.  What about BGP and memory?  I know in Cisco land you need 256M DRAM
to run 2+ feeds (and more on some platforms).  What about in J land (and
specifically on the J-Series)?  I heard second hand that someone from
Juniper said you need 1 G of DRAM to run 2+ feeds, which would rule out
the J4300 and J2300 since they can't go that high.  That seems really
high to me, but I have no way to test it short of buying one and putting
it in play.

Thanks.

Peder