AW: [j-nsp] j-flow question

Steinar Torsvik steinar at fasthost.no
Sat Jul 23 11:53:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

martin schneidhofer wrote:

> what is the technical difference in using
> a ASP on junipers. are there limitations
> in the sampling of traffic without ASP ?

I have no experience with ASP, but Juniper (at least the M series I have
worked with) has a limit of 7000pps for its sampled flows. You must
remember to tell the software analyzing the flows you are running at a
ratio of 1/100 as in the previous configuration example.

You can calculate the best ratio number for you by finding an average
packet size for your network and match it up with the total network
traffic. Remember to put in some overhead to handle unexpected
situations. Go get your calculator :-)

We are using this software collection to analyze our flowdata.
http://www.dynamicnetworks.us/netflow/ Here you can define the sample
rate in the CUFlow.cf file with: SampleRate router-ip sample-rate

I dont know your hardware or load, but on an old M40 I have had problems
that the router didnt have enough balls to export the flowdata. In loads
of about 300mbit/s and about 80kpps the flow-exporting daemon on the
Juniper ate all the cpu available to the system. This could also have
happened because I am stupid and non-experienced working with this
router :-)

Today we are running this on a M7i with about 80mbit/s load and 20kpps
without problems. Our configuration is almost exactly the same as in the
previous configuration example.

--
Regards,

Steinar Torsvik