[j-nsp] Bridging between PIM-SM and PIM-DM domains

Rafal Szarecki (WA/EPO) rafal.szarecki at ericsson.com
Tue Jul 26 09:53:25 EDT 2005

> Yes, the problem is that when the router sees a source for that group,
> it does not then create an (S,G). This means the (*,G) state seems to
> be basically useless - it will never pass any traffic?

What you mean by " when the router sees a source" ?
If router creates pim (S,G) state withoyt output interfaces?
If router send (S,G) joint toward upstream router?
If router send prune message in direction to RP?

I'm not 100% sure by ife we talk about "bridging PIM domain" probably we make general misteak. Let's assume R1-R2 link is a domains boundaty. To have things working in R1 (SM) domain you has to run PIM on R1 to R2 interface. Also on R2 (DM) you has to run PIM on interface toward R1. So SM and DM are only modes of the same PIM, so I guess they will establish neighberhood and effectivly form single domain...