[j-nsp] J2300 interfaces disappear

Mike Selders mike at greeleycomputer.com
Wed Jul 27 11:06:58 EDT 2005

I have a customer's J2300 that frequently (3/12 times this morning)
seems to experience physical interface failures.  On these occasions,
always after a power cycle, it appears to boot normally, but reports
that the devices are not found.

noc at LittleJ> show interfaces fe-0/0/0
error: device fe-0/0/0 not found

Not limited to the fast ethernet ports, the two T1 ports seem to be
missing as well.  The status leds do not illuminate at all and I have
noticed that the following lines are missing from dmesg at a shell login.

if_pfe_ds1: Added nic 0, pic 0 port 2, chan 0, type 19(T1)
if_pfe_ds1: Added nic 0, pic 0 port 3, chan 0, type 19(T1)

If I cycle power again, everything tends to come up fine.  The customer
tells me this is a brand new device.  Should I have them return it or
does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

mjs