[j-nsp] Re: BGP neighbor state flapping

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Thu Jun 2 04:43:22 EDT 2005

 >> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:35:31PM +0200, Hahn, Ch wrote:
 >> > After some minutes it's started again with "trace_on:
 >> Tracing to "/var/log/xxxx" started"
 >> >
 >> > Could it be that we had an daemon problem on the box? Is
 >> the above log entry indicating that the bgp process was restarted?
 >>
 >> Unfortunately there is no dedicated BGP process, so it looks
 >> like RPD restarted indeed. Check:
 >> show system processes wide detail | match "(STARTED|/rpd)"
 >> and you should see when the rpd fired up the last time.

HC>  Thanks, that gave me a hint. I checked the messages log and
HC> found that indeed the rpd was restarted several times and this
HC> correlates with the log entries in the bgp trace logs. It seems
HC> that the restart was due to a page read fault for the everytime
HC> same pc addresses. Am I right that this could indicates an
HC> corrupted memory modul?

    just   open   a   case   with   juniper  support  and  upload  the
    /var/tmp/rpd.core.*  file  to  ftp.juniper.net/pub/incoming  along
    with the message log and you will get an answer in a few minutes [
    one  we  have  the  core  file  ] and most likely the solution and
    possible workaround too...

    Josef