[j-nsp] Graceful restart & Graceful switchover

William Phang phangjk at hotpop.com
Mon Jun 6 01:07:35 EDT 2005

Hi Hemant,

Actually, it is depend on your network topology. If you are only using 1
router then you don't need to enable graceful-restart for all protocols.

Suppose that you have the topology like below:

R1---R2----R3

And You want to do a graceful-switch-over RE on R2, then you need to enable
graceful-restart for the protocols that running on the boxes, like IGP,
MPLS, RSVP, etc. If the graceful-restart is working, when you do remove
master RE, then the protocol state will change to down. But with
Graceful-restart, it will tell to the neighbor routers, it is going to down,
but please continue forwarding to me, so the traffic will be continue
forwarding to the R2.

If you don't enable Graceful-restart, when you remove master RE, the
protocols will be down, so the neighbor router will not forward traffic to
R2, so all traffic is dropped until the protocols come up.

I have tested this scenario on M10i, M40e, and M320 without packet drop.

You should never see the FPC reboot if you remove master RE or switch the RE
to the backup one.

Regards,

William