[j-nsp] Interfaces, deactivate vs disable

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Wed Jun 8 11:24:04 EDT 2005

Disable sets the interface to admin down, but retains the related
config. When you do a show int terse you will see the protocol families
and addresses. Deactivate causes the related config to be ignored, as
in, factory default. This marks the interface as admin up, but with no
config (no families, addresses, etc.). Either method "bounces" the
interface as the link layer will go down. Personally, I feel that
deactivate can cause folks to feel the problem relates to the config (or
lack of), as it is easy to miss the deactivate statement if you are
below that hierarchy level.

HTHs