[j-nsp] Interfaces, deactivate vs disable

Phil Shafer phil at juniper.net
Thu Jun 9 15:54:15 EDT 2005

Harry Reynolds writes:
>Disable sets the interface to admin down, but retains the related config.

Implementation-wise, the difference is that "disable" is implemented
in specific software components, while deactivate/activate/inactive
are all controlled by the UI software.  During commit, any
configuration marked inactive will not be published to software
components.  If you disable an interface, the interface control daemon
will see if, but not configure it.  If you deactivate it, the daemon
will not see the configuration data.

So deactivated configuration is effectively commented out of the
configuration file.

>Personally, I feel that deactivate can cause
>folks to feel the problem relates to the config (or lack of), as it is
>easy to miss the deactivate statement if you are below that hierarchy
>level.

This should no longer be the case, you should see a message informing
you that the configuration in inactive and where in the hierarchy
above you it was deactivated:

    [edit interfaces so-3/3/3 unit 0 family inet]
    cli# show
    ##
    ## inactive: interfaces so-3/3/3
    ##
    filter {
        input test;
        output test;
    }
    address 10.1.2.3/24;

    [edit interfaces so-3/3/3 unit 0 family inet]
    cli# show filter
    ##
    ## inactive: interfaces so-3/3/3
    ##
    input test;
    output test;

    [edit interfaces so-3/3/3 unit 0 family inet]
    cli# top

    [edit]
    cli# show interfaces so-3/3/3 unit 0 family inet filter
    ##
    ## inactive: interfaces so-3/3/3
    ##
    input test;