[j-nsp] Bridging between PIM-SM and PIM-DM domains

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:15:17 EDT 2005

On 6/28/05, paras at juniper.net <paras at juniper.net> wrote:

> To send traffic from sparse-source to dense-cloud,
> your only choice is to configure "set protocols igmp interface X static
> group Y" on the dense facing cloud (but still configure sparse-mode
> on interface X). Then, it'll always forward the data to the dense cloud
> (but, it'll ignore prunes from the dense-cloud as well, in case there is
> no receiver there).

In future, we are likely to have a situation where the DR is not the
RP on the SM side. The documentation for igmp interface X static..
suggests it does not cause the router to send a PIM Join and so if the
SM/DM border wasn't on the RP, the traffic may not get propagated.

Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks,
Ras