[j-nsp] RE2/RE3 and unwarranted reboots

Hannes Gredler hannes at juniper.net
Thu Jun 30 07:37:58 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:10:05AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
| Hi,
|
| If you have RE 3.0 in M20 running in slot 1, and insert RE2 in slot 0
| (e.g., maintenance), RE 3.0 reboots.
|
| So, who's bright idea was it to:
|
|   1. make the code so fragile so that RE 2.0 / RE 3.0 combination does
|      not work properly;

i read between the lines that you assume bad intention -
reality is that this RE combination is not part of the regression
testbed; not supporting the combination is simply a tradeoff call
that limits the testcases;

|   2. stop selling RE 2.0's, so folks who would want to keep running
|      RE-2.0's can't continue using them; and

we do not manufacture RE's but rather buy it from one of our suppliers;
if that supplier discontinues a certain model we do not have
much choice, don't we ?

|   3. don't fix the abovementioned critical bug, citing that the
|      documentation doesn't recommend mixing RE 2.0's and RE 3.0's.

see 1.

| It seems completely unacceptable to require having a spare part supply
| of _both_ RE-2.0 and RE-3.0's, or doing a very disruptive (and costly)
| throughout upgrade to RE-3.0 just to get around that particular
| problem.

sorry, i cannot follow that logic:

if the deployed base is big then there is not that much extra cost
  of sparing 1-2 extra RE's of a certain type.

if the deployed base is small then it should not be that expensive
  upgrading to the latest RE model;

/hannes