[j-nsp] graceful failover and software upgrades

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Mar 21 14:13:12 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, daniel wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 00:07, Pekka Savola wrote:
> ..
>> According to a couple of notes, GRES should be usable also w/o
>> graceful restart just fine, it'll just result in some minor routing
>> flaps.  But that's probably OK.

One additional note, from the online documentation:

=====
Note:
[...]
You must enable graceful restart on all the protocols you have
configured at the [edit protocols] hierarchy level. If you have
configured a protocol that does not support graceful restart, graceful
switchover might not work. For information about graceful restart, see
the JUNOS Routing Protocols Configuration Guide.
=====

This does not guarantee anything, because the documentation is wrong
more often that it's not... but I wonder what this "might not work"
means, for example:

  a) "unless the protocols support graceful-restart, the routing
protocols will flap, possibly reducing the usefulness of graceful
switchover",

  b) "unless the protocols support graceful-restart, [something really
bad could happen, e.g. an adjacency might not come up at all, and we
don't support this kind of configuration]"

  c) something else..

I guess the documentation means a) but it's generic enough that it
could be interpreted in any way you want..