[j-nsp] Routing stopped due to failed hard disk?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat May 7 09:20:14 EDT 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 09:51:29AM +0200, Blaz Zupan wrote:
> >First off, you may want to get console on the box and check the logs to
> >figure out what actually happened. Assuming the HD died and really did
> >take down the system, you should be able to boot the device into single
> >user mode (boot -s at the boot loader, just like you would do to recover
> >passwords) and remove the mirror-flash-on-disk command.
>
> There are no logs - the device on which the logs were located is dead (the
> hard disk). After a reboot the box came back, but the hard disk does not
> appear in "show system boot-messages" - only ad0 (the flash) is recognized,
> ad1 is nowhere to be seen. The mirror-flash-on-disk has been removed and
> the whole RE will be replaced (hopefully soon). I have also removed
> mirror-flash-on-disk from all other Juniper boxes, seems like it is a
> really bad idea.

Well, before you reboot it, you can check dmesg.

The device disappearing is a safety mechanism, to prevent precisely what
you saw happen. When there really is a problem with a device, it will
disappear from the device list so that it doesn't keep taking down the
rest of the system.

You can check/change this from sysctl (or from bios when the device boots
up if you hit Del fast and often enough). A normal system (well a normal
old M series, not sure if they changed any names on the Mxi's) should
have:

machdep.bootdevs: pcmcia-flash,compact-flash,disk,lan

But yeah I've seen too many other much worse problems caused by
mirror-flash-on-disk, and ccd in general, to trust it. You can do manual
snapshot updates to keep your alternate media in sync with "request system
snapshot". Personally I'd be just as happy with a config option to save
configs to altconfig at commit time, and manual snapshots for the base
system after you upgrade and confirm that a new version of code works for
you.