[j-nsp] Memory Allocation per FPC

Hannes Gredler hannes at juniper.net
Sun May 8 03:53:01 EDT 2005

each stream (= a port on a PIC) will be assigned a buffer space
equal to 200ms (m-series) and 100ms (t-series) of bandwidth-delay
product so a STM-4 does consume 622/8*0.2 = 15.55MB buffers space;

now the difficult part:

the buffer is not statically allocated to a single FPC but rather
to the pooled memory of all FPCs on a PFE. also the packet itself
will be sprayed in quantums of 64-bytes called j-cells across
the contributing FPC SRAMs; so for example it would well be
that a 250 bytes packet enters the router on FPC0 and its
fragments are stored on FPC{1,2,3,4}; on the egress stage
the packets are reassembled and passed to the I/O manager ASIC
for queuing/rewrite etc.

the difficult^2 part:
is not a pure static allocation but also has a dynamic component;
however the application/purpose of static/dynamic allocation
i believe would go beyond what you have been asking, right ;-)

/hannes