[j-nsp] Memory Allocation per FPC

Hannes Gredler hannes at juniper.net
Sun May 8 18:27:12 EDT 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 08:34:17AM +0000, The Drifter wrote:
| Hannes,
| I have been waiting patiently, Many thanks for this description. It is very
| useful, correct me if i am wrong below:
|
| 1. the hardware configuration on the box is Independent of the performance
| of the router & I can stick in PICs anywhere

correct no PIC dependencies wrt performance;

| 2. Also even if I am using only 2 FPCs, I can get more performance if I
| plug in All the FPCs

not correct - each FPC1 supports a "fabric" bandwidth of 3.2Gbps for user data;
an additonal FPC increates the aggregate fabric bandwith, howver it also
has to support more PICs then ....

| 3. Can you please goint me to FPC types/memory-size  link, for M-series
| routers??

--->just issue a "show chassis fpc detail" and watch the SDRAM portion
--->example taken froma M10i FEB
Slot 0 information:
  State                               Online
  Logical slot                      0
  Total CPU DRAM                  128 MB
  Total SRAM                        4 MB
  Total SDRAM                      64 MB
  Total notification SDRAM         12 MB
  I/O Manager ASIC information        Version 3.1, Foundry IBM, Part number 0
  Start time                          2005-04-19 09:53:39 CEST
  Uptime                              19 days, 14 hours, 27 minutes, 46 seconds

| 3. I wouldn't mind getting more information on dynamic/static allocation,
| at all  ;)

well, what is the problem you're trying to solve ? and why is knowledge
of our mem allocation relvant to it ?

/hannes

| >From: Hannes Gredler <hannes at juniper.net>
| >To: The Drifter <prophecy_68 at hotmail.com>
| >CC: juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
| >Subject: Re: [j-nsp] Memory Allocation per FPC
| >Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 09:53:01 +0200
| >
| >each stream (= a port on a PIC) will be assigned a buffer space
| >equal to 200ms (m-series) and 100ms (t-series) of bandwidth-delay
| >product so a STM-4 does consume 622/8*0.2 = 15.55MB buffers space;
| >
| >now the difficult part:
| >
| >the buffer is not statically allocated to a single FPC but rather
| >to the pooled memory of all FPCs on a PFE. also the packet itself
| >will be sprayed in quantums of 64-bytes called j-cells across
| >the contributing FPC SRAMs; so for example it would well be
| >that a 250 bytes packet enters the router on FPC0 and its
| >fragments are stored on FPC{1,2,3,4}; on the egress stage
| >the packets are reassembled and passed to the I/O manager ASIC
| >for queuing/rewrite etc.
| >
| >the difficult^2 part:
| >is not a pure static allocation but also has a dynamic component;
| >however the application/purpose of static/dynamic allocation
| >i believe would go beyond what you have been asking, right ;-)
| >
| >/hannes
| >
| >On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 12:49:07PM +0000, The Drifter wrote:
| >| How is the memory of an FPC allocated per PIC. Is it allocated equally
| >per
| >| each PIC? Or is it allocated by the Buffer Manager (PFE) per data packet
| >| received?
| >| Therefore a STM4 PIC will useup more memory of the FPC then a DS-3 PIC?

| Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!
| http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

hannes gredler             mobile: +43 676 9380638
network support engineer    email: hannes at juniper.net
juniper networks inc.,      skype: hannesgredler9000