[j-nsp] IPv6 ND stopped working

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Mon May 9 05:40:05 EDT 2005

Friday, May 6, 2005, 2:28:32 PM, you wrote:

AK> Folks,

AK>  I have a problem with a customer that we connect to via a
AK>  switch, we both use Juniper, and it is the same VLAN on our
AK>  side for v4 and v6, and in the middle is a switch network
AK>  and he gets an untagged port. Effectively some time ago ND
AK>  stopped working and we could not ping each other then at
AK>  that time.

AK>  When I do a monitor traffic interface etc. I only see my
AK>  packets going out (ICMP6 neighbor solicitations or so), but
AK>  none coming in. Our customer sees the very same, no inbound
AK>  requests for him.

     post  the  traces/tcpdump from *both* routers then we will see if
     you  are  running  into the bug Robert mentioned already where we
     may  extrapolate  the  mac address from the source address of the
     neighbor solicitation using EUI-64 mapping which is incorrect.
     For you reference this is corrected in 6.2R5 6.3R3 6.4R3 7.0R2 7.1R1 7.2R1
     and higher.

     Josef