[j-nsp] IPv6 ND stopped working

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon May 9 05:53:12 EDT 2005

>    post  the  traces/tcpdump from *both* routers then we will see if
>    you  are  running  into the bug Robert mentioned already where we
>    may  extrapolate  the  mac address from the source address of the
>    neighbor solicitation using EUI-64 mapping which is incorrect.
>    For you reference this is corrected in 6.2R5 6.3R3 6.4R3 7.0R2 7.1R1 7.2R1
>    and higher.

Since we have Juniper people involved in IPv6 here: Over on the
cisco-nsp list there has been a discussion about the use of /127
addresses for point to point links (thread "IPv6 subnets for
point-to-point links").

Such addresses work today, but obviously makes it impossible to use the
lowest numbered address for IPv6 anycast. Speaking only for myself, I
neither need nor want IPv6 anycast for point to point links. The $100K
question is:

- Does Juniper have any plans to implement IPv6 anycast *such that
/127 addresses stop working for point to point links*? If /127 is going
to stop working at some point, it is better to know sooner rather than
later.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no