[j-nsp] IPv6 ND stopped working

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Mon May 9 06:20:09 EDT 2005

Monday, May 9, 2005, 11:53:12 AM, you wrote:

>>    post  the  traces/tcpdump from *both* routers then we will see if
 >>    you  are  running  into the bug Robert mentioned already where we
 >>    may  extrapolate  the  mac address from the source address of the
 >>    neighbor solicitation using EUI-64 mapping which is incorrect.
 >>    For you reference this is corrected in 6.2R5 6.3R3 6.4R3 7.0R2 7.1R1 7.2R1
 >>    and higher.

snn>  Since we have Juniper people involved in IPv6 here: Over on the
snn>  cisco-nsp list there has been a discussion about the use of /127
snn>  addresses for point to point links (thread "IPv6 subnets for
snn>  point-to-point links").

snn>  Such addresses work today, but obviously makes it impossible to use the
snn>  lowest numbered address for IPv6 anycast. Speaking only for myself, I
snn>  neither need nor want IPv6 anycast for point to point links. The $100K
snn>  question is:

snn>  - Does Juniper have any plans to implement IPv6 anycast *such that
snn>  /127 addresses stop working for point to point links*? If /127 is going
snn>  to stop working at some point, it is better to know sooner rather than
snn>  later.

      we do not treat anycast addresses anything different then
      unicast addresses as of today and I'm not aware of changes on
      this subject.

      Josef

snn>  Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no