[j-nsp] FE Memory Upgrade

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Tue May 10 12:04:07 EDT 2005

I have no M7i experience, but I can tell you that an M20 with an SSB-E
and 64MB DRAM/8MB SRAM could only handle about 500K routes in the Rib
before it started to issue allocation errors.  768MB on the RE and 16MB
SRAM on the CFEB will do you fine, as long as you're not going to use it
to create 15 logical-routers, all with a copy of a full BGP table ;-)

I received a good explanation from Juniper about how the memory
allocation in the SSB (or CFEB in your case) is handled (paraphrased
from JTAC):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
o The command "show route summary" does not reflect the correct amount
of memory associated with each route. It just reflects the s/w
datastruct size (~72 bytes) does not include the allocation overhead of
24 bytes.

So, each prefix in the RIB takes up approximately 96 bytes (~72 + 24).
This does not include the amount of DRAM taken up if you are doing
things on the router such as firewall filtering and uRPF.  In addition,
underlying functions such as the radix tree take up memory.

In short, as another poster put it, you should be fine with the 768MB on
the RE and 16MB on the CFEB.  As a comparison, we have an M5 with 493K
routes in it that's only about 55% utilized with regard to memory.  CPU
is around 5%.

-eric