[j-nsp] Layer3 incompletes increasing

Niels Bakker niels=juniper-nsp at bakker.net
Wed May 11 11:41:37 EDT 2005

Hi,

* efraim at clues.de (Alexander Koch) [Wed 11 May 2005, 16:56 CEST]:
>We were seeing a lot of 'L3 incompletes' between 6.3R2 and 6.3 daily
>(when we had one of the global reloads again or so we picked that one)
>on our GE trunks to our aggregate switches. I have not seen anything in
>the release notes or so, and no bug, and the case I had open I
>voluntarily asked them to close it as they did not understand it.

I still have a case open about this.  It's disheartening to hear that
you felt that you had to close yours...

>Playing a little with the switches and the trunk ports a simple
>'spanning-tree bpdufilter enable' decreases the amount of 'L3
>incompletes from 1k a minute to 50 a minute, CDP is off, 'switchport
>trunk allowed vlan' etc. is set...

None of those are happening on my LAN.  I've sent JTAC pcap files from a
traffic analyser right between the switch and the router but they don't
seem to be able to figure it out either.

What I've found out so far is that nobody in the world really knows when
or why the "L3 Incompletes" counter increases; that it's 8-bits in the
hardware; but also that it and the "DA Rejects" counter step in close
harmony (at least in my case), which I'm still investigating.

So, sorry, no help to offer here...

	-- Niels.