[j-nsp] Layer3 incompletes increasing

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Wed May 11 10:52:48 EDT 2005

We were seeing a lot of 'L3 incompletes' between 6.3R2 and
6.3 daily (when we had one of the global reloads again or so
we picked that one) on our GE trunks to our aggregate switches.
I have not seen anything in the release notes or so, and no
bug, and the case I had open I voluntarily asked them to
close it as they did not understand it.

Playing a little with the switches and the trunk ports a
simple 'spanning-tree bpdufilter enable' decreases the
amount of 'L3 incompletes from 1k a minute to 50 a minute,
CDP is off, 'switchport trunk allowed vlan' etc. is set...

Now my question is: Did anyone spot this as well? Is it it
the same with 7.x? I cannot change the lab setup at the
moment... I would love to know what all the crap is that
Juniper is filtering out with that release. And how I can
switch it fully off with my average switch. BPDUs obviously,
CDP obviously, sometimes vlan- tagged stuff for which there
is no VLAN configured, etc. Anything else?

Regards,
Alexander