[j-nsp] Routing instances question

Rafal Szarecki (WA/EPO) rafal.szarecki at ericsson.com
Wed Nov 2 05:02:28 EST 2005

Joe,

Yes, you can.

You can configure virtual-router by commands:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos71/swconfig71-routing/html/instance-config14.html

[edit]

routing-instances {

    1st-VR {

        interface t3-0/0/0:1.0;

        instance-type virtual-router;   <========= this is a point.

        protocols {

For more information please start reading here http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos71/swconfig71-routing/html/instance-overview.html

Please note that VR is very similar to VRF and do not use separate JUNOS process. There will be only one rpd process. Logical Routers are implemented as separate rpd deamons.

If your JUNOS is realy accient, then they can even not support VR, only VRFs. Then you has to configure fale RT and RD.

If your JUNOS is even older, and do not support VRFs, then You has to play with rib-groups, and forwarting-instance type forwarding.

Rafał Szarecki JNCIE

skype me <callto://Rafal_Szarecki/>