[j-nsp] loss of keep alive

Erdem Sener erdems at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:46:17 EST 2005

Hi,

 If you were to enable GRES (kernel replication: interfaces etc.), you
cannot modify the default keepalive times.

 GRES is useful when you have the same software image running on both
RE's and 'commit synchronize' to keep both configuration files
up-to-date.

 When GRES is enabled, switcover between RE's is quicker (approx an
rpd restart) because your kernel is replicated to redundant (backup)
RE and interfaces information is already present.

 Without GRES, while switchover process the backup RE loads the
software and then boots, taking a couple of minutes depending on the
load.

HTH
Erdem