[j-nsp] optical amplifier recommendations?

Matt Yaklin myaklin at g4.net
Wed Nov 9 20:22:41 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Andrew Fort wrote:

> On 11/10/05, Mark Prior <mrp at mrp.net> wrote:
> > We have a small problem with the reach of the OC3/OC12 PICs in a M320
> > in that we need to reach greater than 20km from our POP site to a
> > submarine cable station across some dark fibre. Does anyone have any
> > suggestions on optical amplifiers that play nice with the M320 PICs?
> > We only need to amplify the signal from the Juniper as the SDH gear
> > at the cable station can get light to us (we're currently using a
> > Procket on the circuits and they usefully used SFP based optics).
>
> Gday, Mark.
>
> Our optical nerds say you might like to check out the Transition
> SFMFF1316-210 (port one = 1300nm SC (2km), port two = 1310nm SC
> (40km)).  These are "OC12 ATM / SDH" stand alone media converters.
> This should handle your S1.1 to L1.2 conversion requirements.
>
> Not sure on compatibility with M320 PICs, but we've found their kit to
> be pretty reliable/compatible with all our SDH/ATM equipment in the
> past (Lucent/Nortel/Ericsson).

I am also totally unsure of compat issues, but metrobility makes
great gear. used to be known as lancast.

http://www.metrobility.com/products/interface_sonet.htm

they also have 1U nebs complaint chassis that takes two cards.
very nice. wall mount space age looking units as well as the old
blocky ones.

make sure to look for nebs cards if you need them. slightly more
expensive.

matt