[j-nsp] optical amplifier recommendations?

Barton F Bruce barton at gnaps.com
Tue Nov 15 03:15:32 EST 2005

MRV (www.mrv.com) should have several ways of doing this.

In its simplest form, since you only need one side amplified, you don't need
a pair of SFPs back to back. Instead you need a single SFP that hairpins its
receive into its transmit. Not sure if MRV supports this one SFP game or
not, but they easily can solve your problem even if it means a short haul
and a long haul SFP back to back.

They have small single channel "media converter" pack of cigarettes size
boxes as well as a family that starts at 1U high with 32 SFP slots that
looks like a 16 channel media converter but actually is an ANY port to ANY
port switch.

Again, they can solve your problem several ways, just look at other
capabilities of each product family if you get a chassis bigger than a
one-shot immediate sollution.

An SM receiver should have no problem at 1310 or up past 1550. Pick your SFP
to reach and be acceptable at the far end where that same range is probably
also ok if you just have the signal power.

PAD the SFP input so the Juniper doesn't fry it.

The game with MRV is always that they consider themselves a solution
provider that should be able to enjoy high markups. If you are just shopping
for neat toys (that they DO make lots of) to stick in your toolbag at
attractive prices, you may be frustrated.

Some of their sales folks are more understanding than others.