[j-nsp] Help with P-1GE-SX: will not fully process outgoing traffic (90 Mbps - should be 300Mbps+)

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Nov 16 17:44:39 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 09:05:52AM -0800, Larry E. Stites wrote:
> We have a problem with one P-1GE-SX PIC - it will not fully process
> outgoing traffic. Data rate is 90 Mbps top, while normal operation is 300
> Mbps+. We installed (4) P-1GE-SX total and the other cards from this same
> quantity work as described @ 300 Mbps. Also - Replacing faulty card with
> other solves the issue.
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated. How to make this P-1GE-SX fully
> process out going traffic at 300 Mbps, or how to fully test to determine if
> it is indeed faulty.

Sounds like you've got a small amount of packet loss/corruption on the
link which is limiting thruput, most likely due to a bad or dirty
transceiver, or an error between the PIC and FPC. SX/MMF is pretty hard to
screw up even for grubby handed colo monkeys who like to tie knots in the
fiber, so either someone took a mud bath with your fiber or PIC, or you've
got bad optics, or you've got a bad PIC in general.

Start with something obvious like cleaning the transceiver and fiber, and
check your messages file for CRC errors between the PIC and FPC, etc. If
the optics are bad, you can always desolder the 1x9 transceiver and
replace it for about $10. :)