[j-nsp] P2MP TE multicast

michael.firth at bt.com michael.firth at bt.com
Wed Nov 23 05:58:13 EST 2005

For P2MP LSPs the difference between the operation with Multicast or Unicast addresses is minimal. The route appears similar to a Unicast route, but because the address is between 224.0.0.0 and 239.255.255.255 it is a Multicast address.

To get P2MP to handle Multicast addresses you need to configure an additional hidden command on the ingress interface - 'set routing-options multicast interface <x> enable'.

When we last tried mixing the two P2MP and PIM could not co-exist well on the same box - when the interface flapped PIM inserted some extra routes which stopped the P2MP static route working.

I think it should be possible to interconnect PIM clouds using P2MP by doing the following:

1) Have an additional router at the ingress running PIM, which has a static IGMP join configured for the required Multicast groups, pointing them at the interface connected to the P2MP Ingress router.
2) Have additional routers at the egress points running PIM, and set a static route from the P2MP egress point to a unicast address on the PIM router.

I haven't actually tested this, as our P2MP application only has a single destination at each egress point, so we don't use PIM at all.

Regards

Michael

Michael Firth
Video Communication Solutions
BT Exact
* +44 1473 645306
* +44 1473 641333
* michael.firth at bt.com
BTexact is a trademark of British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no. 1800000
This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunications plc which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.