[j-nsp] Adjusting MSS size for GRE tunnels in JunOS

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Wed Nov 30 22:02:04 EST 2005

AFAIK, not at this time. The TCP MSS is a system-wide parameter, and
JUNOS software does not support adjustment:

jnpr at foo> start shell
% sysctl -A | grep mss
net.inet.tcp.mssdflt: 512
net.inet.tcp.v6mssdflt: 1024
net.inet.tcp.send_mssdflt: 0

It is not recommended that folks mess with this type of system default.
I have heard that some folks have found a work-around by increasing GRE
tunnel MTU (say to 1600).

HTHs