[j-nsp] "low route" with BGP examples?

Rafal Szarecki (WA/EPO) rafal.szarecki at ericsson.com
Wed Oct 19 05:36:37 EDT 2005

Tomas,

generaly speaking Flow route is a definition of firewall filter term (a.k.a ACL). This definition is configured once on singel router as "routing-option flow route" and contail both match and action sections.

Then BGP (iBGP and also E-BGP) is used to propagate this definition to multiple routers over the network. This spropoagation can be controlled by regular BGP methods - e.g. Communities.

The Router which recive flow route (definition of firewall filter term), process validation (see Pedros mail), and then apply this as _Firewall Filter_ of Forwarding Table.

The applaying Firewall Filter on Forwarding table has effect that all packiet forwarded by router are check against tit firewall filter terms. Regardless of ingress and egress interface.

The primary application is reaction and mitigation of dDoS attacks.

Flow Spec routes are more granular thyen SCU/DCU - can natch on L4 protocols, ports and non-address fields of IP header.

SCU/DCU is limited to 16 class only.

And Pedro is aothor of flow - route draft.
http://professional.juniper.net/roque/draft-marques-idr-flow-spec-02.txt

Rafa³ Szarecki JNCIE

skype me <callto://Rafal_Szarecki/>