[j-nsp] Juniper box equivalent to GSR

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 07:33:30 EDT 2005

We're planning on getting a new Core (P) router, we had a BPX-MGX(cisco)
network, which ran Cell mode MPLS, we need to migrate to Frame-mode

The BPX was used as shelf feeder from MGX ATM switches which had a router
acting as PE, now we'll continue using the BPX as aggregator PEs trunks(pure
ATM switch),

So we initially looked at GSR 12410, in my humble opinion, it has decent
port density compared to price (around 250K US$) when compared to Juniper
boxes with similar ports density,

We talked with Juniper folks, they were showing us M40 which was quite
expensive, still not the same port density, which router in Juniper would be
equivalent disregarding prices, due to price limitations we were trying to
do it with M7i, processing wise, it'll do it, but with no room for growth,
add to that the Multicast module that should be added if you decide to add
Multicast.

Our GSR as P will only run IGP and MPLS transport, it'll initially have 3
GigaE ports with NPE-G1, 4 ATM OC3 ports and a bunch of PoS for new PEs
we'll add later

Has anyone had this experience before, people recommend Engine 3 cards and
were pointing that IOS is one huge advantages/features to go over Juniper,
please, i welcome your opinions on both GSR and equivalent Juniper boxes.

Any known problems with GSR or Juniper ?

Thanks