[j-nsp] Juniper box equivalent to GSR

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 09:18:59 EDT 2005

> We're planning on getting a new Core (P) router, we had a BPX-MGX(cisco)
> network, which ran Cell mode MPLS, we need to migrate to Frame-mode
>
> The BPX was used as shelf feeder from MGX ATM switches which had a router
> acting as PE, now we'll continue using the BPX as aggregator PEs trunks(pure
> ATM switch),
>
> We talked with Juniper folks, they were showing us M40 which was quite
> expensive, still not the same port density, which router in Juniper would be
> equivalent disregarding prices, due to price limitations we were trying to
> do it with M7i, processing wise, it'll do it, but with no room for growth,
> add to that the Multicast module that should be added if you decide to add
> Multicast.
>
> Our GSR as P will only run IGP and MPLS transport, it'll initially have 3
> GigaE ports with NPE-G1, 4 ATM OC3 ports and a bunch of PoS for new PEs
> we'll add later

With M7i there are only 4 PIC slots available... each ATM OC3 PIC has
2 ports and each GigE PIC has 1 port, there is a fixed GigE on the M7i
board, so a router with 3 GigE ports and 4 ATM OC-3 ports won't have
any PIC slot left. Could you change the router-switch connection to 1
ATM OC-12 ?

Why exactly do you need 3 GigE ports ?

Rubens